- Determine potential dates and times for your wedding.
- Decide on the size, formality and setting of your wedding.
- Create a wedding and engagement budget.
- Reserve the locations for your wedding and reception.
- Meet with and book your wedding officiant or clergy.
- Choose your wedding party and confirm the participants.
- Choose your wedding rings.
- Draw up an initial guest list.
- Organize your engagement party.
9–12 Months Before
- Order your wedding dress and attendants’ attire.
- Book your photographer and videographer.
- Reserve a caterer.
- Arrange for decor, chair covers and linens.
- Book your live entertainment or DJ.
- Reserve your florist.
- Order your wedding cake.
- Reserve any rental items from the rental company.
- Register your gift choices at your favourite stores.
- Research accommodation for out-of-town guests.
- Plan your honeymoon.
- Decide on your menu.
- Reserve the musicians and soloist for your ceremony.
- Reserve your limousine service.
- Order your invitations and any other stationery.
- Order wedding favours for your guests.
- Choose outfits for mother of the bride and mother of the groom.
- Check marriage licence requirement
3–6 Months Before
- Finalize your guest list.
- Choose the reader for your ceremony.
- Finalize your order with the florist.
- Reserve the men’s wedding attire.
- Make an appointment with your hairdress
2 Months Before
- Mail the invitations.
- Decide on your wedding vows or compose your own.
- Finalize the reception menus.
- Confirm the wedding details with the musicians and clergy or officiant.
- Have the programs printed.
- Purchase gifts for parents and attendants.
- Make appointments for nails and make-up.
- Schedule final dress fitting.
1 Month Before
- Apply for a marriage licence.
- Plan the rehearsal dinner.
- Meet with photographer and videographer.
2 Weeks Before
- Have a party for the attendants.
- Draft the speeches.
- Finalize reception details.
- Call any guests who have not replied.
- Meet with your hairdresser and make-up artist for consultation.
- Deliver song lists to musicians or playlists to disc jockey.
- Confirm honeymoon reservations.
1 Week Before
- Finalize seating plan.
- Determine the order for the procession.
- Have your rehearsal.
- Confirm accommodation reservations.
- Pick up the attire for the groomsmen.
- Confirm the final numbers with the caterer.
- Confirm details with the limousine company.
- Deliver your marriage licence to the officiant.
- Draw up a seating arrangement for the reception and write out the place cards.
- Choose someone to hand out the bombonieres or wedding favours.
- Choose someone to return any rented items after the wedding.
- Write any cheques required for the wedding day.
- Pack for your honeymoon
On the Day
- Give the wedding bands to the best man.
- Give the best man any cheques that need to be given out that day.
- Present the attendants and parents with their gifts.
- Relax and enjoy your special day!
After the Wedding
- Make a gift list and send out your thank-you notes.
- Send thank-you letters to suppliers and attendants.
- If you are changing your name, you can purchase a kit to make the job easy.
- Arrange for cleaning and preservation of your gown.